Sunday, July 26, 2009

For My Grandparents: I Get It Now

When I was growing up, I had 2 sets of the most wonderful, loving grandparents a child could have. And I was lucky enough to have then well into adulthood as well. Each set had large backyard gardens and were fond of shrubs and trees and flowers of every variety. I grew up on home grown vegetables and fruits and trust me, they are are much better than the produce at your local Food Lion, or maybe it was just the love :) But both had a peculiar habit that I didn't understand until just recently, of just taking a chair under a tree outside and just sitting. Occasionally talking, but mainly just observing. But it was until recently when I, myself, started growing a garden and landscaping that I knew why they did it.

They did it for the slow pace and peacefulness of nature and the calming effect it has on ones mind, soul, and body:

Picture 718

The satisfaction of knowing that something you planted actually grew and not just grew, but exploded. the second tree is one I planted 2 years ago and was a 12 inch long stick when I got it in the mail.

Photobucket


Photobucket

It's the appreciation of the the beautiful transformation of a tightly spiraled bud that will end up into a full blow color explosion in less than 24 hours

Picture 821

Picture-2 070

It's finding beauty in the tiniest of obscure things like lady bugs and bumble fees

Picture 823

Photobucket

The wildflowers that grow despite the lack/too much of water.

Picture 820

Picture 818

Picture 768

Picture-2 062

It's the fact that nature is powerful above all things and we simply can not contain it. It will always find a way.
Picture 719

I see now the wonder and peacefulness and joy just observing these this brings to you. I wish they were still alive so I could take my place beside them with my own chair underneath a shade tree and just "be".

For my Grandparents


PPS, you didn't think you were getting out of this post without a pootie video, now did you? You don't know me very well if you did :)




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Leslie Rubio said...

Shannon- You summed it up well. I get it now too but when I was younger... I actually even laughed about different family members and their love of nature and gardening... thought it was silly , stupid even. Now I know what a wonderful thing it is to appreciate nature, gardening and all the wonderful, free and easy, peaceful and beautiful natural gifts that He gave us all...if only we take a look around, observe, listen, appreciate and give thanks!

DJShay said...

Yep. It's a shame that when you're younger you don't realize it, but it's the same for all teens I guess. I'mm just glad I discovered this while I'm still young enough to enjoy it!